Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bacteria.... The Bastard!

I'm a bit out out commission. My left arm has a little vampire attached, for another 3 days. My left leg, below the knee, has a flesh eating bacteria. If you really must know it's not as bad as it was when it was looking like flesh pudding on Thursday. I went to the hospital on Friday, they put me in isolation for three hours. But I left after I had flesh preserving antibiotics and a new little vampire friend attached to my arm, neatly covered in gauze.

The bacteria that wants to eat me is called cellulitis. Should you want to find out more Wikipedia even has photos. I considered photos myself but decided to just draw it, a couple of times so far. Does anyone really know what bacteria looks like?

I don't know just how I got it. Anyone can. A little wound or small hole in the skin and the bacteria can creep in. If I hadn't been so dead sick on Tuesday and Wednesday I might have gone in to get the creeping flesh pudding on my leg checked out sooner. But, it really just started as a sore leg, then a reddish skin leg which was hot to the touch. Who would think that was anything serious? I didn't.

But, I was pretty much not on the planet until Thursday. That was when I managed to do something other than sleep, shiver and puke. On Thursday the calf of my leg was flaming red (all but oozing) and a lot less than attractive looking. (I'd go into detail but really, flesh pudding like something out of a horror movie, just works so well). But I still wasn't sure about going anywhere to get it looked at. I always think these kind of things will just fix themselves or that I can fix them if I just find the right stuff.

It's not fun to type with an IV vampire hooker thing in my arm. It's weird to feel it move. Though I think/ hope some of that is just the tape attached to my skin around it. Can't see it under the gauze and I'm ok with keeping it covered. Out of sight if not out of mind.

So I'm not doing as much blogging or Entrecarding or whatever it is I do when I'm here. I need to catch up on WordGrrls tomorrow. Also write something for a few other sites and places. At least I caught up my blog! Likely it wasn't the most important thing on my list, but it was the one I most wanted to do.

Typing is over for tonight. Sleep well and be nice to any little vampires you might have yourself. They may not be especially nice but they want to be good.

5 comments:

crpitt said...

Oh noes!

This does not sound good at all :(

Hope you feel better soon :)

Laura Brown said...

I'm getting home care to keep getting antibiotics with the IV. Two more days to go now. Now that my leg is looking more human I'm really looking forward to having the IV out and getting my arm back too. :)

Lone Chatelaine said...

Oh man....that's rough sounding. Yep, all kinds of little bacteria things in the garden dirt. Especially if the soil has been damp or wet for a while, which it has around here.

IVs fascinate me. I always like watching the needle when I'm at the doctor. But the flesh bacteria thing....not so much ;)

I hope you're feeling better soon. Sounds like for a few days you were really feeling poorly.

Haley H said...

I hope you're feeling better by now. The whole thing sounds really scary.

Lucia said...

Hey that's horrible. I was just able to see your personal blog today I don't know what I did but finally I got on. I'm so sorry to hear that you were sick and that the your flesh was being eaten in the most despicable way! I have read your latest post and see that you are better. Take care of yourself. I must catch up reading your other posts!

Lucy in Pickering