Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Word Verification is Sadistic Use of Word Art

What is this? Modern art? No, word verification. Can you read all of these? They all came from Blogger's word verification. I just refreshed and they came up one after the other. No special efforts to find the worst of them, just six in a row. They're awful. I couldn't read them, can you?

If you are using word verification this is what you are inflicting upon your commenters (or those who choose not to translate the word verification and don't comment). Is this especially smart? I don't think so that's why I stopped using it ages ago. How badly do you need to use this? Why not turn it off and just use moderation? It leaves people waiting to see their comment posted but... they just finished typing it do they really need to visit it so soon?

Unless you are getting hundreds of spam comments a day I don't see any reason to use word verification versus being your own comment moderator. Blogger will send them right to your email address. One click and you can post or toss it. You can even go to the moderation page on Blogger and check off the comments you want to post and get them all in one quick click.

So what's your excuse for using word art to moderate your blog for you? Lazy? Sadistic? Uninformed? Consider yourself informed... word verification sucks!

6 comments:

Ken Armstrong said...

You are *so* right.

Only this morning I came up against one of those boyos and I couldn't figure what it said.

I felt foolish and I don't go on the computer for that! :)

Lone Chatelaine said...

You're right. I turned my word verification off, and it's been fine. I've gotten a few spammy things, but the moderation lets me take care of that. And lately the word verifications have been so hard to read anyway.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Blogger's word verification has gotten much worse recently.

Apparently the cause for this would be that spammers have figured a way to get around the system, thwarting the previous (and slightly easier) verifications which has resulted in a greater amount of comment spam.

My blogs seem to have many "T-shirt" commenters in the past few days. I'm loathe to moderate all comments before they are posted and instead use the verification to try and stop much of the spam. Now I'm really not sure what I should do for the best!

People in the Sun said...

I can't just leave a comment on a word-verification-less blog. It's not challenging enough. This thing is really for people who find soduko too easy.

Anonymous said...

I can't read them and took mine down recently too. Horrible. I'll only put them up if I start getting a lot of spam. But then spam might be better than the lack of comments. lol

Haley H said...

For the past week I've been experimenting with no word verification, no moderation. I'm just waiting to see some spam come through, but nothing yet this time. But wait and see. It'll happen.

And, yes, I agree. Word verification in all its incarnations is annoying.