Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Blog Talkers: Heart

From Blog Talkers: Heart. What is close to your heart? Does heart disease run in your family? Would you say your heart is in good shape? Would you ever consider donating your heart after passing away? Why or why not?

I'm keeping my heart packed away in tin foil. It's been battered, bruised and broken enough for awhile. Not that I'm closed off entirely but I'm worn out from trying to be as giving and open as I used to be. A heart needs a few calluses if it's going to survive.

I would not donate anything if I passed away. I believe in reincarnation as a recycling procress and all of us will be just a body (meat) when we die. Souls or whatever that element is, get passed along to become something else. But, still, I have the feeling that what was me on the outside should stay that way. Worms can feast on my remains but it just seems strange for someone else to be wearing my heart, my eyes, etc. Not a selfish thing just seems that something of me should be left private, not given away to someone else. I would feel very weird about having someone else's heart. I think I would rather not do that at all.

Have you ever looked at your hand and felt it was not really your hand? I have. It was extremely eerie. Suddenly I couldn't trust my own hand and it felt detached from the rest of me.

post signature

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great topic .. personally I would offer any organ of mine that would be of any use, excluding my lungs as I am a smoker, I won't have much use for them anymore.If I can save another persons life by doing so then I would.nt have died in vain.Saying that the thought of one of my loved ones wanting to donate there organs I would find that hard to cope with.

Anonymous said...

oh wow I always as long as I can remember thought I want to give someone everything, when I answered this Question, I as stumped.. What if I need them? LOL!!!!!

Great blog sweets

Francis Scudellari said...

I think my thoughts on organ donation are pretty much the same. Part of me thinks it's a really noble thing, but the other part thinks it's very creepy too. The heart is definitely a much tougher muscle than most believe, but it can take some folks longer than others to recover from the occasional beating. I tend to shut myself off from the world during the healing process.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura -- When I heard people who got body parts from others then said that they felt different and had some different habits (like from the other person when they lived), it made me think that those parts may "haunted", so to say. These oddities seemed to be confirmed when donors meet the family of the deceased.

Anonymous said...

I would donate it all if it were in good condition and my brain was dead...I believe in the after life and reincarnation, I just like to believe that I have been alive before. I believe though that you get a different body or being with reminants of your old personna or should I say personality, not necessarily the vessel in which you carry your organs. I think we get a new one. I'm hoping for a sexier one next time around. I believe I would like to save or prolong someone's life with my body. Lucy in Pickering.

Anonymous said...

I've written a post about a film review called The Eye,which was about a woman who had cornea implants,in that film she was experiencing things from her dead donors life. i have also heard of tales where people have either become great artists or musicians after recieving donated organs,

Anonymous said...

Heart disease runs in my family. Big time. But I work hard to keep my heart strong. When I die, if my heart is in a condition that someone can use, I say please use it.

I see organ donation as an ending for me, but a new beginning for someone else. Possibly even several people. To me, the idea is comforting.

When my father died a few years ago, all he was eligible for was tissue donation. My mother, knowing my feelings on organ donation, readily signed the paperwork. I was happy that maybe, a little bit of good could come out of what was to me an incredibly painful experience.

The idea of letting my body rot in a sealed vault, separated from the natural cycles of life, has no appeal to me. Take my organs, cremate the rest and scatter me to the winds.

Obviously, I have strong feelings. But I also believe that when it comes to death, you should follow whatever practices will give you and your loved ones the most comfort.

Unknown said...

I so agree. I think if one of my loved ones needed a Kidney, and eye or a heart then I would want someone to do that for them. I personally think that is one of the most unselfish acts you can do. I really like your blog. You have some very cute things to look through.

Anonymous said...

haha I look in the mirror and I feel detached from my face...this not my beautiful face, this is not beautiful body, who is this middle aged person?

Lucy from Pickering