I had just gotten in the door tonight when the phone began to ring. The setting was right as I had no lights on yet, even the upstairs people had turned off the back lights for some reason (they've never done that before). Of course it was repairman calling. I had begun to think my brother was right and the guy wasn't going to call. But he did. I had thought about him as I was walking home from the bus, wondered if he could be parked there waiting to see me come in. It's possible he was but I don't know.
Anyway, he said who he was and I pretended not to know. I actually only knew because the only people who have my phone number here are family and telemarketers. No other strangers call unless they are selling me something.
I was firmer with him on the phone. That relative safety of having at least a door between us. I still had the door open though as I had really just come in and only just put the groceries down without closing the door. As he was talking and reminding me of who he was and how we had agreed he would come over I closed and locked the door. Wishing it was a much stronger and better lock. I pretty much hung up on him, saying I did not want him coming over. I hope that is clear enough for him and the end of it.
I phoned my brother right away to let him know the guy had called. Graham said he had called the guy and told him not to call me but the guy had never called Graham back. I guess he wouldn't likely do that either way though.
Still I am feeling creepy about the whole thing and not very safe tucked away down here. So I looked up the website for the local police division (#55 as it turns out) and sent them an email giving a quick run down on what had happened and asking for suggestions on how to deal with that now and in the future. I don't know if I will get anything other than a form letter reply. I did say it was a non-emergency as I wouldn't like feeling stupid if they ask me the guy's name or anything I could tell them about him. It would be a really short list. I still didn't really catch his name though he told it to me on the phone tonight.
Anyway, that is the update. Fun wow.
1 comment:
This is the kind of story that makes me wish guns were more readily available in Canada. Then you could shoot first and ask questions later..
Post a Comment