I am officially the answer to the meaning of life or life the universe and everything. You'd think I would remember but... when you get old you forget. 42 isn't quite so new and shiny any more. I think I'm going to have to stop plucking the grey strands of hair out of my head soon and just decide to colour or not to colour. When I was 14 I decided I wouldn't colour my hair. That was a long time ago. I've revised my opinion. So how does it feel to be the answer to life the universe and everything? Not too bad actually. It could be worse.
Of course, it does mean Christmas is also officially upon us. I didn't end up putting up the tree and now I'm going to be away so it will remain vacuum sealed (not quite) for another year. It must be getting kind of yucky smelling in it's box, never seeing the light of day or getting a bit of air to brush away the cobwebs. Of well, it will survive, it's plastic. Like the bugs it will outlive us all.
I am still awake and thinking of things to pack and how to pack them. It's 2:31 AM by my not so reliable clock. I am to meet my brother at the Scarborough Town Centre at 10:00 AM. The funny thing is I could leave now if the place were open. There wouldn't be any coffee though. I'd likely sit there in the dark for hours and fall asleep finally out of boredom.
I like being out early. I'm sure I have mentioned that somewhere in here. Saying it at all is just a refresher for anyone who happened to pop in for a quickie. Of course, now that I'm 42 I probably need help remembering too. Should I make a list of my likes and dislikes in case I get overly feeble minded this year?
Although, this should be a really good year you would think. How often do you get to be something Monty Python thought was the answer to everything? It only happens once in a lifetime, if you stuck around this long. Face it, who really thinks getting old is great, it's just better than the other option (by a long shot).
Some things are good about being 40-something. It's different from the other decades. I feel like a different person at times. But, I wonder if 30-something wasn't the best of all. It's a shame you can't pick out the brain parts you like ahead of time and keep them with the other brain parts you liked from earlier in your life. That would make me a super brain of course. I'm sure there would be no living with me then. I'd be really full of myself.
I still need to whip through a few more dishes. I decided to wash all the pots and pans and put them away all clean and sparkly before I go. I don't know why. Is it a sign of early dementia or alzheimers or something else I've forgotten how to spell?
Oh well. I'm here. This is the start of year 42 if you're interested in measuring the whole thing. Why would you though? Get a life!
I am taking the camera, just so you are warned there will be more family photos once I am back. I'm sure you will be biting your nails in anticipation. Try not to hold your breath, that would make the nail biting a lot harder.
16 comments:
Happy Birthday Laura..
Hi, Laura. I'm also Laura and also 42. Here's wishing you a great year as the meaning of life!
Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dearest Laura. Happy Birthday to you.
One of your many friends, Happy and Blue 2 wrote up a fav post on such a special date. Canadians shall be partying it up today.
Enjoy.
Happy Birthday Laura!! I made it here via Happy And Blue 2's site.
From one December Baby to the next, I wish you a super happy birthday. May 42 rock your socks off.
Happy & Blue 2 told us you were 18. He must have subtracted 42 from 60. He does that sometimes.
Happy Birthday Laura and all the best for the season!
Happy Birthday. I just found your blog through Delightful blogs. Fellow writer here. I enjoyed visiting :)
-N
Happy Birthday and congratulations on being able to drink now! I am a creature that enjoys the early mornings as well. The peace and quiet before people get up and run around frantically is soothing.
Enjoy the trip!
Happy birthday! 42 is a very good age. :)
I am here from H&B too. Apparently you share a birthday with some amazing moments in history!
Have a super happy birthday!
Barbara
http://seeking-serenity.blogspot.com/
Happy and Blue 2 says your are only 18 now. Hey...you may be 42 but that doesn't mean you can't feel like you are 18 again!!
Happy Birthday Laura!!
HAPPY BIRTDAY x millions :-)
H&B2 claims you're 18, but I wonder.... That's not a good age you see. 42 is much better. It's now you realize what life really is about and really can enjoy it in a totally different way!
I'm bringing you 3 quotes:
"The question isn't how old you are but how you are old". (ANKER AGGEBO)
The persons that have get most out of life isn't the ones that have lived a centery, it's the ones that have lived every minute. (GABRIELLE COLETTE)
I'm interested of the future, I'll be spending the rest of my life there". (C.F. KETTERING)
Let the party begin!!!
Yoouu are Laura ! I saw your name on Happy's blog and wondered who that was ! I thought it was one of his jokes.
And now I find a young girl of 42 ! What should I say from the top of the 63 mountain ! I am an ancestor then compared to you. But there is one thing I realized in my looong life ! It's not the number of years that counts, it's the youth in your mind ! Sometimes people are already born old ! Every round number (next will be 50 for you and 70!! for me) is another step and has its advantages too. So dye your hair, put make up on and jump in the new year !
Merry Christmas !
I leave for Egypt tomorrow morning to escape the bad weather here in Belgium !
Happy Birthday to you Laura!
Thank you for the birthday wishes. I had a pretty good day. My brother took me out for breakfast and my sister and her family bought me a cake. Most of us went to see Zack play a basketball game too.
I'm late but hopefully you're still partying into the next day for your birthday. 18 only comes around once....or....in some cases twice and some....so here's hoping you had a great day on your birthday. Oh and it was Happy who let on it was your birthday :o)
I'm beginning to think Happy thinks we are all 18. You never know what he's doing on the other side of that blog. He only needs one hand to type after all.
Thanks again for the birthday wishes. Thanks Happy for posting about the Canadian celebration of my birthday in your blog. It was really nice to get the extra attention. :)
Post a Comment