Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Could Be A Scooter Grrl

This one is a Honda Metropolitan/ Jazz, depending on which Honda site you are looking at. Maybe the pink flowers are too cute? It looks like I could expect to spend about $3,000 Canadian for any of the scooters I looked at. Some of them you have to add carriers for your groceries, backpack, luggage or whatever you want to haul around with you. That would be an important feature for me as I would want to take the scooter for errands like getting groceries - and road trips!

Yamaha has scooters too.

Vespa is the traditional scooter company but that doesn't mean they have the best machine or the best features. What would be interesting to know is which is most often stolen. That is something you could find out from the insurance company. I think I would get it insured too, mainly out of concern for replacing it if it were stolen. Being small and light they would be a good target.

At Fashion Monitor in Toronto they say scooters are mostly driven by women (which I can understand as men would prefer something bigger and noisier) and they say scooter prices range from $800 to $1000. So, I will have to do more looking around. I did see some on Toronto Craigslist.

The Toronto Moto Scooter Club On MeetUp which became a paying site so I don't know if I would join or not. I don't care for the pay-to-use sites. Kind of backwards to ask for traffic and a credit card at the same time.

Secrets of the Vespa Sisterhood, from Boston.

3 comments:

Paul is a Hermit said...

You stylish young woman!
I wouldn't be caught dead on it being an insecure male and all. Too much pink and flowers - ultra cool for a girl who wants to draw a lot of looks.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda or Yamaha. I've never owned one, most often Toyotas, if they have any consider them too. Totally reliable all.
Even if you don't buy new, check their stores for security devices they sell, I'm sure there are some good ways to protect yourself.

Secrets of the Vespa Sisterhood - ooooh, that's sinister and Boston is near Salem, Mass., I'll bet. A little Wicca or Paganism on the side.

I hope you find something, if for no other reason than getting away when it hits you.

Yes, you'd absolutely need a carrier and cover or use a plastic sheet, to carry groceries, laundry and whatever. I'd insure a new one for a couple of years until it wouldn't be worth it, just like new cars.

When you visit a Blog, you DO a Tour De Force off it's posts!

Laura Brown said...

I didn't think of Toyota. If Honda has them I expect Toyota will too. I will check there and add that to the post too.

Rainypete said...

I need a scooter suitable for ripping down the 407 to work every day. What would you recommend. Pretty flowers and all that have no bearing on me as if I can replace the fuel chugging beast I usually take I can repaint it later on.